Monday, May 23, 2011

The Senior Ball

This past weekend my 15 year old son went to the senior Ball at his school. He is "only" a sophomore, but is dating a senior. The whole experience has been strange for me. First of all, when did my baby go from being a little boy to this handsome young man I now live with? It all happens so quickly, I know this is cliche, but seriously! I stood there tying his tie for him, reaching up, way up, to adjust it around his neck and that's when the tears welled up in my eyes. Wow, he is handsome and it all just hit me. He laughed at me, saying his Dad had told him I was going to cry. Who wouldn't I thought, look at you! My memories of the overly active toddler, the caring big brother as we added sisters to his life and more recently the hilarious and sometimes moody teen, all flooded my mind. I tried not to think about the fact that soon he would be moving on and making his own way in the world. I tried to suppress my sadness and feelings of loss as I took pictures of a young man I couldn't be more proud of. Honestly, he helps keep me sane in my sometimes insane world. He makes me laugh much. He puts things in different perspective than Mark & I. He teaches me much about the world today. I often tell him I don't know what I'll do when he goes away to college or to live on his own. In many ways Beau is my rock, right along with Mark. Recently he told me "Not all parents are as cool as you Mom." I thought he was being sarcastic, but he said he wasn't. A mother son bond is so different from a mother daughter bond. Beau and I have a certain easiness in our relationship that I just love. He is a good human being, compassionate, caring, decent and accepting of all. He will add much to society when he gets out there, but he has already added much to my life. I love you Beau.