Sunday, June 17, 2018

Father’s Day 2018

Here we are, Father’s Day 2018. Twenty two years ago, I was pregnant with our first, Beau. Twenty three years ago was your first, true Father’s Day. I would like to say it’s been great fun and easy being parents, but that would be a lie. The mountains we have climbed together have been worth the pain, I think? Truthfully, I’m not sure... we’ve lived through incredible heartaches and horrifying fears. There’s been times I’ve been especially proud of our partnership and parenting, thinking, we’ve got this. There’s also been times I have been broken and mortified because, I was to blame for my children’s pain and/or poor choices. Parenting is HARD! I joke, that when I see a happy, young couple, I want to warn them, don’t do it, babies are not what you think! I know they would never listen, there’s this unstoppable instinct in us that we need a baby. The instinct that, that sweet, innocent baby, will make our lives complete. Father’s Day is a celebration of the love, care and joy our own Dads and our partners, have brought to our lives. We celebrate the person they are and we have become because of them. Sadly, for many, Father’s Day is difficult... not all of us had perfect Fathers. It is difficult for me to think back without regret and pain because my Father and I had a rocky relationship. The thing is, I married well and my Mark, is the Father, I wish, I had. So celebrate what you are Blessed with and let go of the regrets. Our Fathers may not be perfect, but they have loved, laughed & lived. Sometimes, we just need to remember, they are human too.
 Happy Father’s Day to my love and all the Dads out there, giving their best!