Thursday, December 29, 2016

Listening to those Nudges

In 2015 Mark was gifted over $7000 in a fundraiser. His brother started it for him, knowing Mark's Dream was to own a Selmer Mark VI. Here is some of the story on how he found this rare sax.

 If you know me well, you know I believe deeply in listening to those "little" nudges you get to do something, not do something, etc.
One day last week I should have been working on Christmas stuff, as I was quite far behind, but I felt a strong urge to look on Craigslist for a Mark VI sax.
I dropped what I was doing & started searching Craigslist, not only in Rochester, but also in surrounding cities, Buffalo, Binghamton, Utica, Syracuse, Toronto, Albany.... & there it was, a mint condition Mark VI in the Albany area. It had a "good" serial number, it looked great & had had the same owner many years. I sent the link to Mark at work, his immediate response, "looks promising."
I then decided to call the owner myself, to make sure it hadn't been sold & to see if it was worth pushing Mark into moving on. If you know Mark, you know he rarely moves quickly on anything!
The man had owned it since the 70's & because he was getting up there in age, he was switching to playing the alto more. He had a deep love for the horn & some obvious regret about possibly selling it. Calls of inquiry had so far only come from far off places, like CA & SC. He was psyched Mark might actually come see the horn.
As you know now, this was the sax! Mark called to feel it out & set up a day to make the trek. Everything would fall into place easily, his brother could join him, a sax tech in the area could evaluate it with Mark & the owner on a Sunday. The money was perfect & the sax would have the tone Mark was looking for.
I don't think it's a coincidence I listened to that nudge... Thank goodness I did! Congrats Red, such an unbelievable journey this has been!