Saturday, February 7, 2015

Valentine's Day Lover

I know a lot of people hate Valentine's Day, but I am not one of them. I've loved Valentine's Day since I was a little girl. Maybe the promise of cards and treats at school started my love of the day? Maybe the break from the Winter mundane is what sparked my love of the day? After all, to me, it is just a simple holiday stuck in the middle of Winter that simply celebrates love. Or maybe it is because I have always adored hearts, the shape moves my soul. That may not makes sense to a cynic, but I can't remember a time I didn't adore hearts. Especially in my days of running in home daycare, I would share my love of hearts with the kids. Doodling hearts, making paper snowflakes with hearts intertwined, creating art with hearts, I often make heart cakes for birthdays, hearts have always lifted my soul. I am also attracted to anything & everything with hearts as the theme. I even have a Pinterest board entitled "hearts."
Just a few years ago I decided to make hearts the focus of our front door foyer. As soon as you enter our home, you see something that is very much me. I purchased art from an artist friend as a gift for  Mark one Valentine's Day, some years back. I had the idea that I would create a "wall of hearts." Last year I finally created this vision and then painted my own special "heart"for Mark on Valentine's Day. It's simple, but it completed the front foyer, a perfect reminder of my love for the man I married. Many years ago Mark wrote and recorded for me a song. I do not have his musical talent, but art has always been something I enjoy, so even though my painting is simple, the message is loud and clear...
I guess I will just have to agree to disagree with the many who hate Valentine's Day.
For me, Valentine's Day has always been a simple holiday, in the middle of the bleakness of Winter, that my heart gets lifted. Besides that, it was Valentine's Day in 1989 that Mark asked me to marry him and that decision has forever changed my heart.