Thursday, August 7, 2014

Melanie's Words from our 25th ROV Ceremony


When Ellen asked me if I would write something or speak at her 25th anniversary – renewal of vows celebration – I thought – I would love to and I would be honored.  And then I thought… how am I going to put into words what Mark, Ellen and their whole family means to me.
Ellen and I actually met at a 5th grade roller skating birthday party.  Ellen had been injured earlier in the evening but still decided to go skating.  At one point she fell and I rolled right over her already injured arm.  The following year we had the same teacher and despite that disastrous meeting we became best of friends.    
She is like a sister to me – lucky you Mark – that makes you my brother in law.  We have had some wonderful times and we have been through a lot.  And even though we live miles apart – Mark and Ellen inspire me pretty much every day.  They share their lives with us  - their struggles and their successes.  And I pray for them and cheer for them. 
One thing that did come to mind when I thought of Mark and Ellen and their marriage is 1 Corinthians 13:4-8.  It talks about in verse 4 – Love is patient and kind, love does not envy or boast, it is not proud. Mark and Ellen are 2 of the kindest people I know.  They are both patient with each other and with situations that come up. 
Verse 7 says Love always protects, always trusts, always hopes, and always perseveres.  They have persevered together through thick and thin – fighting for Teale and also for Beau and Gwenn.  Just for normalcy and to the best that they can be.
And in verse 8 it says Love never Fails!!!!  They have raised 3 great kids – who just like them – are kind, compassionate, and loving. 
I just wanted to say Thank you for sharing your lives with me and with all of us here today.  Here’s to at least 25 more.