Wednesday, August 14, 2024

35 Years of Wedded Bliss

 On August 12, Mark and I celebrated 35 years of marriage. 35 years, wow, that just seems impossible to me. We were only 21 and 23 years old, when we decided to get married, a journey, that would last a lifetime. Before having kids, is tough to remember now, but we had six years, before we had our son. In those early years of marriage, we traveled a lot, seeing far away places, extravagantly, and camping too. Mark preformed in his band often, which brought together family and friends. His bands often played until the wee hours of the night. Then the next day would be lazy and quiet. We also saw a lot of local & nationally famous bands, music always being a passion. Mark used to golf, that’s tough to believe! I read countless books and learning things like cross stitch. Those early years were certainly charmed!

35 years later, I often reminisce about slower time in our life, before children. I feel like it was foundation building, having those years alone. It brought us together and made us closer. It gave us memories to look back upon, in the tougher days. 

When we were newly married, for our 35th anniversary, I may have imagined going on a big trip together. I may have thought we’d be well off and able to splurge on a fancy restaurant and night “on the town.” I may have imagined us giving each other extravagant gifts. 

None of that happened… We spent a quiet day together and we were grateful for that!